Sunday, August 2, 2015

Angel Falls Overlook Trail

Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area
Oneida, TN

Last hiked April 24, 2010

The Angle Falls overlook is located in the Leatherwood Ford area of Big South Fork and is one of the most popular hikes in the Big South Fork. It was also the first trail I ever hiked solo and as such, it holds a special place in my hiker's heart.

After parking at Leatherwood Ford, to access the trail, there's a bridge crossing the Big South Fork section of the Cumberland River. This bridge is very wide and also low near the water which means it is often washed out. If the bridge is washed out, crossing the water is not a safe option here. Fortunately, there is another alternative. You can walk back to the road and cross over the car bridge and there's a visible trail that leads down the bank and to the trailhead.

The bridge leading to the Angel Falls Overlook Trailhead in 2010, all washed out.
The trail begins as a wide flat walk through the woods along the river. Soon there are large walls of sandstone that tower overhead. At around 2 miles, you reach Fall Branch and cross over a rather large footbridge. On one of my many visits here, this bridge had been caved in by a huge fallen tree which made for an interesting and somewhat scary crossing across broken boards and chunks of tree.

Soon, past this bridge, the trail comes to a very sharp and easy to miss switchback. My first solo hike here was made much more difficult when I missed this and followed what looked like a well worn trail until it simply disappeared into blank forest. I spent a few miles wandering off trail before finding my way back. A good, fun adventure but not a smart thing to do for a novice like me at the time. Actually, not very smart even for a more experienced hiked.

Off trail after missing the switchback.
After the switchback the hike becomes more moderate as it climbs to the overlook. After passing a rockhouse to the right, another easy to miss right turn leads up several steps with a cable to assist the ascent. From here, you soon reach the junction with the Grand Gap Loop Trail and take a right turn towards the lookout. The lookout is spectacular.

View from atop the Angel Falls Overlook
There's also a loop hike at the top, The Grand Loop, that can add around 7 miles to the overall hike but I've yet to conquer it. I did, however, have a very up close eagle sighting here. I've lost count of how many times I've hiked here but it's been a long time... I need to get back soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment